Environment Column

Students at SU should consider their food waste impact

Food Recovery Network is a nonprofit that fights food waste by recovering perishable food that would otherwise go to waste from their campus dining halls and donating it to those in need.

Food waste isn’t just a business issue, it’s an environmental issue too. It’s easy to just assume that the old food will just decompose and go away but the problem is not that simple.

For SU dining halls, food tossed into the trash bins is sent to compost facilities. And even though the compost method is preferable to landfills, it still takes a toll on the environment. Emissions are released through the transportation to landfills and within the facilities themselves.

Thankfully, the Food Recovery Network is helping to resolve this issue.

By taking leftover food and further distributing it, the Food Recovery Network is avoiding unnecessary pollution. Its main initiative is its daily recoveries. Students drive to local restaurants and rescue food and deliver it to shelters. This food would otherwise end up wasted in landfills.

12-4-18-op-graphics

Talia Trackim | Senior Design Editor

These recoveries help Syracuse’s growing poverty epidemic, provide an opportunity for students to engage with the city’s community members and they also aid environmentalist efforts.

Current president of Syracuse’s branch of Food Recovery Network Harris Eisenhardt, articulates the relationship between these issues.

“The environmental impact is huge. Compost is a good step above landfilling, but in terms of the hierarchy of what we should be doing with food, feeding people is the first priority,” Harris Eisenhardt — the current president of Syracuse’s branch of Food Recovery Network said.

As stated on their website, “Food Recovery Network is a national nonprofit that unites students at colleges and universities to fight food waste and hunger by recovering perishable food that would otherwise go to waste from their campus dining halls and donating it to those in need.”

Still, Syracuse’s Food Recovery Network continues to explore different methods to increase awareness. This past week the group hosted their last “Breakfast with FRNds” event of the semester. Students across campus were encouraged to learn a bit more about food waste while enjoying Panera Bread baked goods.

The response has been great, but the group is constantly looking for more volunteers, especially those who have cars.

“It’s amazing the different people who care for different reasons about it. Whether it’s the social influence or environmental impact, everyone has a statement,” said Eisenhardt.

Whether you’re in need of community service hours, want to help the food waste problem in Syracuse or just want to help the planet — everyone should support the Food Recovery Network.

Emily Cerrito is a sophomore television, radio and film major. Her column appears biweekly. You can reach her at ercerrit@syr.edu.