Women's Soccer

Amelia Furbeck’s unselfish play helps her lead Rome Free Academy’s girls soccer

Courtesy of Lisa Curtis

Amelia Furbeck has started for Rome Free Academy Varsity Girls Soccer team since she was 13 years old and always excelled at scoring.

Amelia Furbeck has never played below the varsity level for Rome Free Academy’s girls’ soccer. But she’s had to adjust this season due to a substantial roster turnover after the Black Knights lost a core group of seniors, including Amelia’s sister, Brynn.

“We just have a lot of girls who have really stepped up this year,” Furbeck said.

Furbeck was tied with Brynn as Rome Free’s top scorer last fall when she was just a freshman. Her 13 goals, four assists, and 29 points helped lead the team to a 10-7 record. This season, she’s tallied five points through 10 games, including recording two assists in RFA’s 5-0 win over Oneida on Sept. 21.

“(Furbeck) definitely has a bigger stature for her age,” Brynn said. “She can hold her own pretty well. Her foot skills are amazing, some of the best I’ve seen for her age.”

Both sisters began playing soccer at the same time, when Furbeck was 4-years-old and Brynn was 6. Furbeck said her love for the game grew after she began to notice her talent.

“I remember one game specifically, an AYSO (American Youth Soccer Organization) game, where we literally had to tell her to stop scoring goals,” said Erika, Furbeck’s mother. “One of the parents from the other team jokingly asked to see her birth certificate. They were like ‘there’s no way this kid is playing this kind of soccer at this age.’”

Furbeck played on multiple teams before sticking with RFA at 13 years old. Furbeck credits playing club soccer for helping her pick a position. Her knack for finding open passing lanes and distributing made her a natural midfielder.

“I feel like I achieve more when I assist, it just makes me feel better,” Furbeck said. “I just love finding those passes for people to score, it just makes me feel very accomplished.”

Off the field, Furbeck holds strong relationships with her teammates. Senior Ellyza Minicozzi said Furbeck’s selflessness makes her a helpful resource. Mikayla McPherson, another senior on RFA, said Furbeck “never gives up” on a play.

Cindy Zhang Stone | Digital Design Director

Yet, Furbeck’s head coach, Melissa Downs, remembered when her unselfish nature used to have a negative effect. Downs, a veteran coach and former collegiate soccer player, said it took time for Furbeck to realize her striking potential.

“One of the things we used to really harp on her about was that she had the ability to shoot but never wanted to,” Downs said. “She’d be in front of the net and distribute to a teammate instead.”

Erika agreed with Downs’ sentiment. “She’s very selfless on the field almost to the point where we have to tell her to shoot,” Erika said. “Stop giving the ball up and just take the shot yourself.”

Furbeck trained constantly heading into her freshman season. She worked on perfecting her shooting with the help of Brynn. Brynn recalled consistently telling Furbeck to be more selfish in-game.

“We were telling her just go ahead and shoot it,” Brynn said. “Even if you miss, at least you’re taking the chance.”

Though Furbeck played on varsity as a middle-schooler, the team had always been accepting. She was always surrounded by teammates who supported her, including Brynn. Furbeck remembered thinking the older girls were “intimidating” and “scary” at first but she quickly settled in.

“They were all really nice to me and accepting,” Furbeck said. “I feel like I fit in really well and I gained confidence throughout the year.”

At the end of last season, Furbeck encountered a form of adversity that she never faced before. While joining a club team, Furbeck was told she was “uncoachable.”

“I think she used that as a fire to continue to drive her this season,” Erika said. “That’s what I would have to say about Amelia, she’s not gonna let something like that beat her up. She’s just gonna rise from that, continue on, and do better.”