Cross Country

Assaf Harari applied what he learned in the Israel Defense Forces as a runner at SU

Courtesy of SU Athletics

Prior to becoming a star on the Syracuse cross country team, Assaf Harari served in the Israel Defense Forces.

After committing to Syracuse, Assaf Harari’s collegiate eligibility was delayed. He was required to join the Israel Defense Forces upon turning 18 due to national laws. He said his main job was to train combat soldiers, entailing a “ton of work and not much sleep.”

Harari stayed persistent in his goal to run track in the United States throughout his time in the IDF. He recalled the struggles he faced trying to fit a workout into his busy schedule. He said a typical workday spanned from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., and that he had to work “twice as hard” in order to stay in shape.

Once Harari completed his mandatory service in 2022, he burst onto the scene for SU. The then-freshman was named to the U.S. Cross Country Coaches Association’s All-Northeast region team and earned All-ACC honors. Harari applied what he learned and developed in the military to make a seamless transition into running track and field.

Being in the military gave Harari a new perspective of the world around him. He said he built up a sense of sympathy during his service. Though, at times, Harari said he displayed a short temper when others “messed up,” he grew to become understanding and patient of their mistakes.

“I try to come from a place where everybody is doing stuff because in their position, they think this is the right way to go,” Harari said. “You think you have all the knowledge…but you don’t see everything (behind the scenes).”

While his eligibility was delayed, Syracuse head coach Brien Bell thought Harari’s stint in the military helped his development. He said that Harari came back with added strength and more maturity.

“To start his clock later and be stronger is a benefit,” Bell said.

Harari’s experiences in the IDF gave him a newfound admiration for SU’s facilities too. Former Syracuse coach Tim Medrano said Harari is a “blue collared athlete” as he grew up with fewer resources to improve his game.

“(Coming into college), we did think that him having to go (to the military) early in his career helps him appreciate the fact that he can be at a place like Syracuse,” Medrano said.

Medrano said Harari stood out as soon as he began practicing, showcasing great cadence and technical skill. He added that Harari displayed a fiery competitiveness and is a student of the game.

Arlo Stone | Digital Design Director

Prior to Harari’s arrival at Syracuse, questions were raised about how the competition he faced in Israel compared to the U.S. But Harari maintained that some of the top runners in Israel helped prepare him for the collegiate landscape.

“The best guy in Israel might be better than the best guy on our team or about as good as the best guys in the NCAA,” Harari said.

Harari attended his first practice with the Orange in August 2022. He immediately solidified his presence among his teammates and coaches after running at a far faster pace than the rest of SU’s athletes.

“Guys who were watching him were realizing ‘oh, wow, this guy is for real,’” Medrano said.